Monday, March 10, 2008

...And exactly how do you "Become a Mega Rock Star"?

This may not be everyone's first choice of Concert experience, especially since this is not your traditional rock concert... nevertheless... the Blue Man Group concert is an incredible mix of music, comedy, energy, and innovation. The band that accompanies the Blue Men were full of energy and the music was great. We went on Feb. 15th.

Amanda and I went to this concert with no idea what to expect. There was a storyline that went with it, which I think was about being a unique individual, but was only one of many parts of the whole concert. The conce
rt featured the Blue Man Group acting out "how to become a Mega Rock Star", by dressing and playing instruments like well known rockers. The instruments were made out of Pipes and created a really cool sound. The accompanying band featured some really energetic rockers themselves, playing drums, guitar, and backup vocals.

At one point the act stops and the Blue Men pulled two members from the audience. They then start throwing gumballs across the stage for the other one to catch in his mouth. He would catch several before spitting out the color dye (inside the balls) onto the audience members shirt. The other Blue Man caught about 30 marshmallows in his mouth at one time, at high speeds, and then produce a marshmallow sculpture on a plate sitting on the audience members head. (Yes, he chewed them up, and spits it out as one glob on the plate... lucky audience member...)

Another part of the story was about Floppie the clown, whose head and hair inspired the ever so famous "Rock Out" hand signal used at Rock Concerts.

In either case, there were a ton of things that were going on throughout the concert, and I would recommend the concert to everyone. I don't know what Amanda thought of it, but she was hollering and dancing along just like I was, so I think she would rate this high as something she might do again. Even if it had turned out to not be very good, I would have loved it anyways, because it was a relaxing evening away from the kids, where the two of us could laugh and let go of some of life's frustrations, if only for a short time....It was an incredible experience that we got to share.

Matt






No comments: